Do you think I have chosen correctly my main keyword? If so, do you think this product has a nice search volume?

Post your product research screenshots here for peer review.
Forum rules
No self-promotion. No affiliate links. No sharing your own videos.
Amazoniacos Unidos

Do you think I have chosen correctly my main keyword? If so, do you think this product has a nice search volume?

Post by Amazoniacos Unidos » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:48 pm

I learned recently, thanks to one of Crescent's videos, that many people make a mistake when choosing the main keyword (that they use for their product research). Doing this, they enter on a market that is much more competitive than they initially thought and they don’t stand a chance of doing business.

I also learned that you should look for the shortest/broadest keyword that describes your product. But in my case, the one that gets more searches per month + describes my exact product, is not the shortest, it is: “Natural eye lashes” (this is an example, nor my real product ;) )

I got this list by doing reverse ASIN, my top 8 competitors.

The keywords in dark green are the ones that describe my exact product. The rest of the keywords describe a more generic group of products in which my product is a part of.

Number 3, “Natural eye lashes”, is what I consider my main keyword as it describes exactly my product and there is not sorter or broader term that has a biggest search volume. I’m I right thinking that is is my main keyword?

As you can see, competence is big on those more generic keywords. But for my exact product keywords, I can compete on all of them. Do you think that is a good strategy to think that I can do business even if I only can compete on my exact keywords and not in the more generic terms?
  • So, in total, for my exact product keywords, there are approx. 43.300 searches/mo (exact match)

For the keywords that describe my exact product + have good sales + I can compete in there are 29.000 searches/mo
Does this look like an interesting product to you? (I’ll post more info as I move along)

Crescent
Site Admin

Re: Do you think I have chosen correctly my main keyword? If so, do you think this product has a nice search volume?

Post by Crescent » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes, you want to make sure to choose the correct keyword phrase. In your case, if "natural eye lashes" shows relevant products in the search results and it has the most search volume, then that is probably the correct phrase.

My only concern is that in this example, "eye lashes" probably shows the same products in the search results, so "eye lashes" would be the correct phrase to use. The only time the shorter phrase wouldn't apply is if the products in the search results weren't related to the niche anymore. Then it would be too broad.

Summary: "eye lashes" and "natural eye lashes" probably shows the products in the search results, so "eye lashes" would be the right phrase.
My Services
Consulting Calls
Mentorship Program

Follow me on social media
YouTube
Instagram
Facebook

Amazoniacos Unidos

Re: Do you think I have chosen correctly my main keyword? If so, do you think this product has a nice search volume?

Post by Amazoniacos Unidos » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:49 am

Oooooh thanks for your answer! I need to figure this out before moving forward and so far no one has been able to give me the answer I need.

Regarding your concern, it is the same concern I have :)

The thing is that "eye lashes" is not searched for.

These are 4 types of broadest searches people can do for my product:
  • eye lashes: No search volume. Shows other product (containers for eye lashes)
  • lashes: No search volume. Shows other product (containers for eye lashes)
  • natural eyemakeup: 36,339 search/mo. This is a bit broad because results show a wide range of different products that are related but are not my exact product. Out of 18 sellers, just4-5 are selling my product type, the others show other types of related products, but not my type. High competency
  • real eyemakeup: 32,541 search/mo. This is a bit broad because results show a wide range of different products that are related but are not my exact product. Out of 18 sellers, just 3 are selling my product type, the others show other types of related products, but not my type. High competency
What does this say to me?
  • For the top 2 search terms people won't find what they are looking for and they would need to re-type a keyword, and this keyword will be one of the dark green marked on my list (has search volume, I can compete in, describes my exact product)
  • For the bottom 2, I won't be able to compete (at least not right now) but most competitors of my product aren't showing in here either, and they are making a nice amount of sales (I guess from the other keywords, especially the marked in dark green)
So, with this extra bit of info, what do you think? I want to move forward, but obviously only if;
  • I can use "natural eye lashes" as my main keyword
  • Is not a big deal that I can not (yet) compete on those other keywords
  • Is perfectly fine that I can only compete on the dark green keywords
  • The search volume of these keywords (29.000 searches/mo) is enough for this product to pass to the next research phase

Crescent
Site Admin

Post by Crescent » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I believe you are using a poor keyword research tool.
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.27.18 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.27.36 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.30.28 AM.jpg
As you can see, "natural eye lashes" and "natural eyelashes" has very little search volume. "eyelashes" is the main keyword.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must register and create a free account.
My Services
Consulting Calls
Mentorship Program

YouTube
Instagram
Facebook

Amazoniacos Unidos

Post by Amazoniacos Unidos » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Ha ha :lol: no sorry, I think I forgot to mention this. My fault! Those keywords are not my real keywords. I won't post online them is you know what I mean. I used jungle scout keyword took to get those numbers ^_^

I have been waiting the whole day to check your answer about this so I know I can move forward or not with this product. :)

Crescent
Site Admin

Post by Crescent » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:48 pm

I see. I think you are over complicating it. You want to use the simplest and shortest keyword phrase that describes the product niche, where the majority of the products in the search results are the product you intend to. That's it.

If the phrase is too short and the products in the search results start showing other random products, then you've gone too broad.
My Services
Consulting Calls
Mentorship Program

YouTube
Instagram
Facebook

Amazoniacos Unidos

Post by Amazoniacos Unidos » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi! Good Monday! Thanks for replying.

I may be overcomplicating things, but the thing is, in this keyword's case I don't see it as clear as in your video.
I'll try to explain it with another example because I still don' know if this niche is good or not to enter.

Imagine that my exact product is volcanic rocks. And these are its main keywords :
  • Rocks: 36.000 search/mo. Results show a wide range of different type of rocks. High competency
  • Stones: 32.000 search/mo. Results show a wide range of different type of rocks. High competency
  • volcanic rocks 11.000 search/mo. Results show my product. Low competency
  • Lava rocks: 9.400 search/mo. Results show my product. Low competency
Based on this, do you think I can consider volcanic rocks a my main keyword?

If you think "rocks" is the main keyword, and taking into account that I cannot compete in that keyword yet, is it wise to enter this market? (Taking into account that the top keywords that describe my exact product where I CAN compete make a total of 29.000 searches/mo and most sellers don't show for "Rock"s or "Stones")

Crescent
Site Admin

Post by Crescent » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:45 pm

Like I explained in my video, if the results are no longer related to your product, then the phrase is too broad.

If I'm selling "basket balls", if I do a search for "balls", the search results will show soccer balls, base balls, bowling balls, beach balls, etc. So, I know it's too broad. If I search for "orange basket balls", it will show all basketballs just like if I search "basket balls", so I know "orange basket balls" is too narrow.

So if you're product is "volcanic rocks" and if searching for stones, rocks or lava rocks shows the same products as "volcanic rocks", then I'd use the most popular one, "rocks". Otherwise, use what you see in the results.
My Services
Consulting Calls
Mentorship Program

YouTube
Instagram
Facebook

Amazoniacos Unidos

Post by Amazoniacos Unidos » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:25 am

Ok, I think your info is passing my brain-crust :lol:

So, just to make sure we are on the same page, when you search "balls" you see all type of balls, including yours (basket balls), but you don't choose "balls" as it's too broad as it shows all type of balls. Therefore your main keyword is "basket balls"

If this is right, then I should go for volcanic rocks, because rocks show many types of rocks.

I'm a correct on this?

Sorry for being like this. I can be a pain when I want to truly understand things ;)

Crescent
Site Admin

Post by Crescent » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:25 pm

If you haven't watched this video, it goes over it specifically with examples:

https://forums.amazonbeginnermastery.co ... p?f=6&t=26
My Services
Consulting Calls
Mentorship Program

YouTube
Instagram
Facebook